Saturday, April 17, 2010

Happy Record Store Day!



Wow! It is so great that such a day exists. Unfortunately our town does not have a local record store. I would have definitely gone there to celebrate if there was one. So in honour of Record Store day, I would like take some time to reflect on a few of our favourite stores.

In The early years that Ace and I were together, we lived in Toronto. After 2 years of pretty shady neighbourhoods we had enough. We finally found a great little apartment in a pretty cool neighbour hood. One of the best parts of our new 'hood was Mike's Music on the Danforth. This was the ideal situation for Ace and I, we are constantly on the hunt for new sounds and artists to listen to. We would stop whenever we happened to be walking by, payday always included a visit to Mike's. This store is small, but packed with old and new records and Cd's. Mike is actually there, and he knows alot about music. When I was pregnant we were on our way home from a friends wedding, as we drove through Toronto, on our way home, something came over us and we got off the highway and spent the afternoon on the Danforth, ending with a visit to our favourite place, Mike's Music!

Another Record store that I love to go to whenever I get a chance is Compact Music in Ottawa. They always have what I am looking for, and I have often walked out with the Cd that is 'currently playing'. Ace and I have spent some great afternoons just browsing the aisles looking at what was there, picking up a record or two or three...to add to the collection.

This next record store is an Ace pick, Fred's music in St.John's. This Store is big, and there is a great selection. There is a large selection of local music, both traditional and non traditional. The best part are the records, they have a ton or records, the new record selection is just as great as the used. They even have live concerts in store!! The last time I was in St.John's my sister in law took me to Fred's, I fell in love. I can't wait for the next visit to the rock so I can search for some new tunes at Fred's!

So once again, happy record store day to you! Support your local record stores, they are few and far between these days. Nothing beats the sounds and feeling that a record store brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment