Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mama, Wadizit?

My son is a real character. At 17 months he has me cracking up at every turn! He is very good at non-verbal communication, a sort of sign language that only him and I seem to understand. And now, that he is just starting to figure out this crazy language of ours. He gets a real kick out of talking, and really loves it when we understand him!

When Lofa learned to ask, "wadizit?" he would run all around pointing things out and shouting, "wadizit, wadizit?" "fireplace" "bop." I started to get used to it, and found myself calling out names of household items all day. Then he moved onto his body, "wadizit?" "belly button" "bowybuon" "yes, belly button." I was getting so used to this it was becoming second nature. Then one day after his bath, While he was lying on his back, getting ready for bed, he reached down and grabbed his 'bird' and proudly shouted, "Wadizit!?!" "that's your penis." To which he responded to with a huge ear to ear grin and laughing! Then proceded to shout out again, "wadizit?" "Penis." "HAHAHAHA." that time the laughter was from both of us.

As a mother of a son, I am now starting to realize that there are so many things about men that they just can't help, they are born with it! I am also starting to realize that there may eventually be a day when he will be asking more about his body and the way it works. What I learned that day, was that whatever it may be, sometimes it is best to throw in a little bit of humour, just to break the ice. I can just hear myself now, "I know this seems awkward. I'm feeling a bit awkward too. Let me tell you a story; "When you were just a baby I was changing your diaper..."

No comments:

Post a Comment